Thursday, April 3, 2008

Fr Dr Mary Cardosa

Taken from Malaysian Association in France, written by Dr Mary Cardosa
Dear friends,

After reading all the feedback on what a wonderful person Bee Hooi was, I want to add something: I was fortunate to have the opportunity to have some interaction with Bee Hooi and always found her, as others have, to be a remarkable and admirable person. As President of the MSA, and in response to suggestions from Dato Jahizah and others, I am proposing that we acknowledge Bee Hooi's untimely death and her contribution to Anaesthesia at our forthcoming AGM/ASM in Langkawi.

In addition, I am also asking Wee Leong to write a short article about Bee Hooi and her "true Malaysian" spirit to be published in the Berita MMA (she was also an MMA member). Last but not least, I would like to post the following poem for all of us to read, because I feel that it fits Bee Hooi's personality and outlook on life and because Bee Hooi lives on in everyone she has touched in her life. Mary The poem is entitled "Do Not Stand at my Grave and Weep" and is attributed to Mary Elizabeth Frye (1904-2004). There are a few (slightly different) versions but I like this best.

Mary Cardosa




Do not stand at my grave and weep

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.

No comments: