Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Dr Tan Bee Hooi

This blog is created in remembrance of my beloved and dear friend cum colleague, Dr Tan Bee Hooi who had left us on 25.3.2008. This is a place for me and my other friends/colleagues to reminisce our memories and happy moments shared together with Bee Hooi. Everyone is welcomed to contribute your thoughts.

Bee Hooi did her MBBS degree in University of Sydney, Australia and her housemanship in Penang Hospital in 1998. I get to know Bee Hooi since March 2000, when I joined as M.O. in the Anaes Department in Penang Hospital, with Dr Ng SH as our Head of Department. Bee Hooi is a nice, cheerful, outgoing, hardworking and dedicated doctor with a kind and caring heart and I enjoyed talking with her. She is one of the most optimistic and courageous person that I know of up to this day, and also a person whom I respect. I still remembered her doing the ICU rounds with me when she was termed (in January 2001). She was still actively doing the peripheral GICU round the day before she delivered her first child. Her first child was delivered in Penang Hospital

Bee Hooi left Penang Hospital in mid 2001 to UK, following her husband. Throughout this period of time (from July 2001 till January 2005, as she came back to Penang in February 2005), we still communicate frequently via emails, sharing all the happy and sad moments of our daily lives and updating her with what were going on in the Anaes Department.

Bee Hooi delivered her second baby 2 days after she sat for her primary FRCA MCQ exam (on 2/4/03). And the amazing thing is that she went to sit for her primary OSCE/VIVA the next day after her delivery (on post partum Day 1) and PASSED !! (Despite being tired as she had just delivered and had sleepless night going through labour and looking after her baby the nights before). She passed her Final Exam in 2004, obtaining both the FCARCSI (Ireland) and FRCA (London), 2 months apart. Bee Hooi came back to Penang in early 2005 and continue working as an Anaesthetist in Penang Hospital later (in the same year).

I'm glad I still keep all those emails (there are hundreds of them) and it really bring a smile to me when I read them two nights ago. Some of those small minute things which I have forgotten and now I can reminisce back, thanks to those emails.

Bee Hooi is really a remarkable and selfless person. Even in Death, she has given life to others... Rest in Peace Bee Hooi and I will miss you forever. You are such a dear sister, a dear friend and a dear colleague of mine...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Chen for helping me in creating a blogspot for Dr Tan Bee Hooi... thank you

Goay